Sanitary Fish Market and Restaurant
Begun in 1938 as a 12-stool restaurant with a small 2-kerosene burner stove, the Sanitary Fish Market and Restaurant is today an East Coast institution that seats up to 500 people. Established by Captain Ted Garner, and Captain Tony Seamon at the request of their fishing charter customers who wanted to have a fish dinner without having to spend a day fishing themselves, the owners surely never dreamed from these humble beginnings that 75 years later, the restaurant would have fed millions of people, served many tons of seafood, be known far and wide throughout the US , be heralded as a famous “Must Stop” on the Intercoastal Waterway, and become as much as a landmark to Carteret County as its historical and recreational attractions.
The Restaurant Today
Through the years, the Sanitary has seen a lot of changes – a new building, expanded quarters, different employees, three generations of family management, and updates to the menu. Yet, while some things change, many things stay the same. Consistently providing good food and good service is vital to the continued success of the business. The key elements to being successful for all these years are great, fresh food; dedicated, well-trained employees who give great service; strong management; and of course loyal customers.